As I write this post, I am being as productive as one possibly can on one's lunch hour. While I am eating at my desk (a lunch that I prepared myself), I often take small breaks to type this post while chewing and while also attempting to read a certification manual.
I mention this because this a real example of how working moms and even non work outside of the home moms operate. I believe that women, not just moms, are truly gifted in the art of multi-tasking and that our kids, families and lives would suffer if God had not bestowed this gift upon us. Does anyone find it strange that gift somehow is a rare find in those of the opposite sex? Sorry, guys -- that is just how it is.
But the real question is, did nature just make us this way or did we simply evolve after women's lib? While my gut tells me this may have something to do with nature, I cannot escape the thought that it may be our own mothers and grandmothers who paved the road for their daughters to have this "liberation" or what they consider "freedom."
Tell me again, what is so free about working full-time to help provide food and shelter for your family, all the while juggling many different roles as employee, wife, mother, and friend?
Did these ladies get it wrong when they asked to have it all --you know, equal rights with men? Are we really equal? I guarantee that most women work as hard, if not twice as hard as their male counterparts and are still not paid an equal wage. We work harder because some work is simply non considered a "man's job." Are these gender roles fair?
So I pose this final question to you: If one could reverse women's lib and take back women's traditional role as homemakers, would you choose that option?
Not sure I would. What I do know is that we as women need to do a better job of trying to blur these traditional gender roles. Ladies complaining about our husbands gets us know where. We have to act and it is time to hand over the apron.
Thursday, August 6, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment