Thursday, January 22, 2009

You put that in your mouth?

I read food labels and some would say that I tend to obsess over things. My latest obsession has been to try and eliminate as many processed foods from my diet as possible. So about two years ago, I became a member of a local food co-op and in the spring and summers we purchase most of our produce from farmers markets. I started off pretty good, but then fell off the wagon. Meat cost more and it came frozen, which required extra steps to prepare meals. (I am a fly by the seat of your pants kind of cook).

Also I realized that there are some things you simply cannot avoid. Flour for one big staple. I know you don't have to buy processed flour, but who do you know that actually grinds there own? I know of one.

I eat out a lot due to my job (always attending breakfasts, lunches or dinners out for meetings), which means processed food is completely unavoidable and the biggest contributing factor to why I don't go cold turkey is this -- doesn't processed food taste that much better?

So, I give up. However, if you have any suggestions for great unprocessed meals that you are willing to share, let me know.

No comments: